Sunday, October 2, 2011

Day 10: Copy Cat







Bowling Shirt: Vintage  Skirt: love 21(forever 21)  Shoes: DSW  Bag: market in Ecuador Earrings: thrift

             And so we meet the last day of the skirt challenge. I'm excited. I have to say I'm glad I took the challenge, it made me really think about the skirts in my wardrobe and how to style them, but I'm also glad it's over. Now I can post pants and dresses!! Get ready. Anyway I had a hard time thinking of an icon/designer look I wanted to copy. But this morning when I woke up, at a ridiculously early hour, I suddenly had it, Enid from Ghost World! I've loved the movie Ghost World since I first watched it in middle school and have even read one of the comic the story is based on. While watching it I totally fell in love with Enid. Not only is she a busty four-eyes but she's funny, sarcastic and had a great sense of style. I was totally in love with everything Enid especially her clothes and room decor. When it comes to style icons most of mine have pretty edgy/funky style. I'd say my style is classic with a little bit of funk, so I always look to celebrities and other style icons with funky/edgier taste to get ideas on how to incorporate their look into mine. I think Enid's look has three basic qualities: Vintage, color and pattern. Her style is an eclectic mix of 70's punk and 60's mod that I'm just in love with and is reasonably on trend. Peter pan collars, plaid, leather jackets, skinny jeans, funky t-shirts, docs and mod inspired clothing are all things you can pick up in almost any retail or thrift store right now.

Enid's different looks from the movie
             So when I decided to choose Enid as my style icon I googled her to check out some of the outfits from the movie. I found the pictures I was looking for but I also found out that British designer Luella did a spring/summer 2008 collection of Enid inspired clothes. I checked out the runway show online and was even more inspired! I definitely have at least 3 Enid inspired looks besides this one that I'll be posting soon. I think one of the great things about Enid's style is the incorporation of t-shirts. As my style has evolved I've found it harder to incorporate crew neck t-shirts into my wardrobe stylishly. As someone whose pretty busty and has a rather short neck I tend to veer away from them, but I have a ton of cool crew neck t-shirts that I've gotten from school etc. that I'd love to incorporate into my wardrobe. Luckily Enid is an avid fan of the crew neck t-shirt and gives totally amazing inspiration on how to rock a crew neck.

Some of my favorite looks from Luella's SS 2008 Enid inspired collection.
          On to the outfit! Enid wears a lot of cool graphic skirts, like the green one on the movie poster, but I don't really have any that compare. Instead of copying Enid's style I went with an outfit inspired by it. To me a main component of Enid style is vintage. A year or so ago I found this vintage bowling shirt in a pile of my mom's vintage clothes. I knew it was cool but I didn't really know how to style it. Then today I knew Enid's style would work effortlessly with this top. In my dream world I would have paired it with a more graphic printed skirt, maybe something in a plaid, but I don't have any plaid skirts so I opted for this magenta skirt that appeals to Enid's use of bright colors.  If I went 100% Enid on this outfit I would have added my leather Jacked and Docs but it's was an unseasonably hot day, 70 degrees, and I haven't broken my Docs in yet. The last time I wore them it took them less than 10 minutes to tear apart my heels. Anyway when the weather cools off I'll definitely do more Enid inspired looks and post them here. In the mean time I'll be looking for more cool t-shirts, patterned skirts, big nerdy glasses, mod inspired clothes and more vintage, to really amp up the Enid-spiration. Lastly here's a video of the opening to Ghost World, I can't get this song or there urge to dance around to it out of my mind!




No comments:

Post a Comment